Happy Christmas

Merry Christmas from Grapevine Canyon Ranch

I guess that Christmas is a very good time to review your life and to be grateful for what you have, rather than dwelling on what you don’t have.

I thought about this while driving home from Grapevine the other day, when I was struck, once again, by the beauty of the mountains around me, and I got to thinking that I could just as well be living in the slums of some big city instead of in this lovely land – and this got me to musing on all the things I should be grateful for in my life.

So I got to thinking further.

First of all, I am very grateful for the fact that, having been born before WWII, I survived, not only the Nazi regime, but the subsequent terrifying days in a bomb shelter, which, a Russian soldier told us in the middle of a fierce battle, would be blown away – “PFFF!” he said, with one direct hit of the many once-a-minute shells which were being lobbed at us from a distance of some kilometers.

So then I thought – we didn’t get a direct hit, and we managed to escape and cross the front – and so I am grateful for the fact that I didn’t get hit in the constant shelling of the endless, open field we had to cross, stumbling across foxholes and dead bodies – later, I wasn’t killed by the strafing airplane which swooped low over our fleeing figures – I wasn’t raped or attacked by any one of the many marauding Red Army soldiers.

Later, I survived the Indian civil war, when we were barricaded in the Delhi railway station while the Sikhs were butchering the Moslems arriving on refugee trains. Later yet, the military Dakota evacuating us civilians from Delhi to Karachi almost did, and yet did not, crash on take off after refueling at a short desert airstrip during the monsoon – we survived it all.

In view of all this, how could I ever complain, or think myself hard done by?

So – I am grateful to the good Lord for all of the above, and the many good things that came later – and now I am grateful for my supportive, loyal and wonderful staff who are my good friends, for the beautiful place in which I am allowed to live, and so very grateful for those many great people who came as guests, and left as friends.

And now, I wish for all of you the very best for Christmas and the New Year, with the hope that you also will take the time to count YOUR blessings and be grateful for all the good things in YOUR life – for we are blessed indeed to live free, and in a world where our biggest concern may be that we’re getting fat, when so many in the world go to sleep every night with a hungry stomach.

Thank you all – and have a wonderful Christmas and a peaceful and happy New Year!

This entry was posted in Latest News and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Happy Christmas

1. Justina says:

Thank you for sharing this story with me and my friends on Facebook. I don’t know what it’s like to be involved in warfare…and you are so blessed to survive going through that era. I have watched numerous movies and read lots of stories of soldiers whom have fought for our country and those who were family members of them. We should be very thankful that any of us survive any tragedy that strikes us or escape it.

2. Bonnie says:

Thank you Justina.

3. Honor Incorvaja says:

Very best wishes for 2011 to you Eve and all at Grapevine. Philip, Honor and Lisa

Hi Honor – how lovely to hear from you! I hope you are having a great Christmas and I wish you the very best for 2011! My love to Philip and the kids – now kids no longer! It’s been – how many years since we saw each other? Perhaps one day….
    Much love to you all!

5. Debbie Watson says:

Happy Holidays to all at Grapevine! Eve; I feel honored to know you. You are a true inspiration to so many people. I wish you a happy healthy new year filled with many blessings. Give my Mom a huge hug for me. I miss her so much but I know she is having the time of her life on the ranch with all of you. I hope to see you again in 2011. Love to all!

6. lee woodacre says:

As usual you put things in true perspective……we all have so much to be thankful for! Thank you, Eve for reminding me and others that our glasses are always half full and never half empty!
    Have a lovely Holiday season and a happy and healthy 2011.
    Love to all at Grapevine who know us
    Lee and Alan in snowy but beautiful England xx

Hi Debbie – and Lee – good to hear from you both! I certainly will pass on the good wishes, Debbie and I, also, am enjoying Nancy here!! Your loss is our gain….. that’s how it goes, right?

Lee, I am looking forward to our game of on line Scrabble! And you may not have the snow to yourselves, either – there is a forecast for snow here, although it generally doesn’t last more than one day…just long enough to a) get excited and b) get fed upw ith it!

Lots of love to you both and a great New Year!

8. Glorya Anderson says:

Dear Eve,
    I have not met you as yet, but was so touched by your story. You are indeed fortunate, but also, I suspect, very intrepid and modest. Looking forward to staying at Grapevine Ranch some day soon.
    Happy New Year,
    Glorya Anderson

Hi Glorya, thanks for your comment – you are right, I have been fortunate, and I hope never to forget it. I look forward to meeting you!